The Light at the End of the Dark-Circles Tunnel: Eye Cream
You can turn a blind eye to a lot of things, but it’s hard when your eye-area itself is the cause for concern. You know what they say, prevention is better than cure, so below we explore what causes dark circles, how to keep them at bay, and then, what to do when they do crop up… For some, it is a genetic concern, whereas for others, it is aggravated by lack of sleep, excessive alcohol consumption, or seasonal allergies. Here’s something to help fake a full night’s rest, no matter how many hours of zzz’s you have or have not.
To nip the discoloration in the bud, you have to introduce an eye-cream into your skincare routine. The eye-cream needs to be hydrating, brightening and able to increase cell turnover without irritating your delicate under-eye area. And for this, it is crucial to understand the ingredients that will make a visible difference.
Here are 5 ingredients that should be on your checklist.
- Hyaluronic Acid moisturises and plumps the skin, giving it a youthful and radiant radiant glow. It conceals the dark circles around the eyes by lightening the skin. Glycerin and hyaluronic acid both help draw moisture into the epidermis from the environment above and the dermis layer below
- Retinol promotes cell turnover in the skin, which helps to prevent fine lines and wrinkles. Eye creams are specially formulated for the sensitive skin of the eyelids and can help improve the skin’s texture and colour.
- Peptides: The building blocks of collagen, peptides help keep skin firm and smooth. As one ages, the rate of collagen produced by the skin slows down, thus using eye creams with peptides helps stimulate collagen growth.
- Dimethicone: Emollients that lock in moisture, consequently making the skin look smoother and silkier.
- Niacinamide: B vitamins are cellular powerhouses, especially B3, which is also known as niacinamide. This vitamin not only calms down redness and inflammation but also stimulates collagen production and increases free fatty acids in the skin to hydrate.
Once you have checked for these ingredients and purchased the eye cream, the next step is to apply it correctly and regularly. You won’t believe your eyes (wink, wink) once you see the transformative effects.
Here’s 4 steps to undertake while applying your eye-cream:
- Use your ring finger to scoop up a pea-sized amount of product
- Gently tap small dots under your eyes, starting in the innermost corner and work your way outward. Avoid applying cream too close to your bottom eyelashes
- Blend the product into your skin by patting it in. It’s best to avoid dragging or rubbing
- Wait 2 minutes to let the cream fully absorb